It’s one of that moreish kind of food – you just can’t get enough!
350g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
280ml buttermilk (see tip below if you don’t have buttermilk)
3 tbsp caster sugar
Beaten egg, to glaze
Onwards to baking
1. Preheat the oven to 220c/fan 200C/gas 7. It’s going to be pipping hot inside so take care!
2. Tip in the flour in a large bowl. Mix in the salt and baking powder. Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks all crumbly (if the butter is cold, i find it easier). Stir in the sugar.
3. Make a well in the dry mix, add the buttermilk and quickly combine.
4. Just make small mountains of the dough and put them on a tray with some baking paper on it. Glaze them well with the egg.
5. Throw them in your little replica of Mount Doom and yell “my precious”! Or just put them in the oven for about 10-12 minutes.
If you don’t have buttermilk, do not despair! Just heat up some milk and add some squeezed lemon to it.
During Step 2, why don’t you add some of your favourite spices to the mix, like cinnamon?
Experiment with scones. Chocolate scones? Vanilla scones? What kind of scones do you wantto make?